In November, TechHub Bucharest hosted the 4th edition of Startup Weekend Romania, 54 hours of intense work for the 9 teams that developed their business models and minimum viable products. Fantique, an app that helps you find clothes and accessories that suit your personality, was chosen as the great winner and is going to compete in Global Startup Battle together with other startups from all over the world.
The 4th edition of Startup Weekend Romania (or SW Vampire pour les connaiseurs) started on 22nd November at Tech Hub Bucharest. Future entrepreneurs, amazing speakers from all over the world, exceptional guests, all lined up for the first day of SW Romania.
The event started with the presentation of the objectives of the project and its evolution in Romania and continues with the keynote speeches of Cristi Badea (Co-Founder of Mavenhut) and Dragoş Roua (serial entrepreneur). We then went on to the participants pitches: 25 business ideas have been presented and 9 teams were formed around the most voted ideas.
Here’s the list of projects that have been developed during the fourth edition of Startup Weekend Romania:
Hack Arena: web-based programming game in which the players program virtual robots that will fight each other in a simulated environment.
- TrashCat: The entertaining recycling game for kids
- TakeCare of Me: Automatic alerts in case of emergencies.
- Human Reminder: We aid people to adopt a new habit.
- Learn in 10: an online learning platform that teaches skills in videos of 10 minutes.
- Winzo: Social network with marketplace functionality
- Fantique: a service that helps you find clothes and accessories that suits your personality.
- Find My Bus: Mobile application which will offer information about the next bus that is going to arrive, the estimated arrival time and duration of your trip.
- Bucket Shield: Instead of using expensive sensors and shields you can now save time, money and energy by using your smartphone in ways you like
During the second day, the 9 teams got the chance to develop their business concepts and validate them by working with exceptional mentors and investors out of which one has to mention Andrei Pitiş (President of ANIS), Robert Knapp (CEO of CyberGhost ), Max Gurvits (Partner at Teres Capital) or Rokas Tamosiunas (Co-founder & Managing Director, StartupHigway Estonia).
The weekend was incredibly intense for the 9 teams that did their best to develop minimum viable products until Sunday. Like always, Startup Weekend ended up with the final pitches of the competing teams in front of the jury. The judging was made by reputed entrepreneurs and investors: Andrei Pitiş (President of ANIS), Max Gurvits(Partner at Teres Capital), Catalina Rusu (serial entrepreneur). Bogdan Iordache (Co-Founder and CEO How to Web) and Robert Knapp (CEO of CyberGhost)
The competition was fierce and the jury had the difficult mission to choose the winners out of 9 amazing ideas. And… the winners are Fantique. Their platform now competes in Global Startup Battle and they will need all our support (and votes) to win GSB 2013. Bucket Shield occupied the 2nd place and Human Reminder occupied the 3rd place in the competition
It was an incredible weekend for everybody: participants, coaches, judges, organizers. We worked hard but we had lots of fun and we are definitely looking forward for the next SWVampire.